Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Got hard hit below knee. Fluid filled pocket appeared, tender to touch. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5760 Questions
Hi, While playing soccer, I was kicked in the XXXXXXX three weeks ago just below the knee - painful, felt like a dent in that spot. Now I have a pocket of fluid in that area and it still tender around the pocket. Anything to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Every trauma brings a risk of bone fracture (even if the symptoms do not point it) and blood accumulation due to vessels rupture. Such blood accumulation can cause hematoma which sometimes turns into and abscess.
After 3 weeks most of mild contusions (except fracture and hematoma) should disappear and no pain should be present after such time.
That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have and X-ray performed. Soft tissues ultrasound should be also considered in case of no changes in the X-ray.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got hard hit below knee. Fluid filled pocket appeared, tender to touch. Should I be concerned? 2 minutes later
Thank you, I will. Could it be a blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later

Blood clot would cause calf swelling, tenderness, and it would become painful when touching or walking. If the pain is well located, this is rather not a blood clot.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor