Got fungal infection on penis. Took cream. Having pain. Chances of having infected prostate?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hello.. Thank you for taking the time to listen to me

My issue started 5 months ago.. I had a girlfriend at the time i dated for 3 weeks we broke up and a week later i was in the shower and i was washing myself i grabbed my penis to wash it when i noticed that it burned when i touched it.. I looked down the peehole is red and inflammed aswell the head of my penis is red and irritated also the forskin was red and swollen. The next day first thing in the morning i went into a walk in clinic the dr. Diagnost it as a yeast infection.. He perscribed me some sort of anti fungal cream
I put it on 3 times a day.. The next day redness and swelling went down reduced drasticly
I thought great its getting rid of it. :)!
But turns out i was very wrong.. And i developed XXXXXXX symptoms.. Pain in my penis in the shaft,the head,the peehole stings. My testicles ach.. Usually more often on the left side
I gave the dr. Urine and blood samples.. Both came back negative..
Two weeks passed by stinging,aching dull pain persisted..making my life hell
I went back to medi center dr. Gave me keflex 2weeks worth. Twice a day
Finished the keflex.. There was no help.. i made a mistake by drinking while on keflex i mentioned it to the dr. He said its not a big deal.. Two weeks go by again i go to the dr. Gives me a diffrent type of anti biotic ...took that for one week no results..
After that i had troubles with bowel movements consptipation along with lower abdominol pain.. Which was relieved by bowel movements.. Go to dr. Again.. He suspets infected prostate.. Gives me keflex (cipro) again.. But i dont take it this time i done some reasearch and realized keflex kills good bacteria aswell there is no point in taking it if it did nothing in the begining.. So i let it be for a while and it resided on its own.. bowel movements were back to normal but it still felt like something was wrong just didnt feel right..
I have been in and out of dr. Offices for the past five months including STD clinics
Blood work urine tests swabs.. Etc..
Keeps coming up negative.. this is very frusterating dr.. I have never been so depressed in my life i feel like im slowly dieng becuase of this.. It has effected my life greatly..
I have been dealing with aqward emberassing achs pains and stinging i hAve become antisocial lately. i pray to god that i can have a discomfort free day.. Its not just a discomfort its more of modern torture whatever this is... I have developed odd feeling head achs.. Like my head is in a vice..
My ex girlfriend had a UTI birthcontrol implanted in her.. I suspect thats what cuased the yeast infection.. Since she tested negative for everything els..
Ive been to two hospitols and they both told me nothing is wrong with me.. And its all in my head..

As i write to u now im having issues with bug bite sensation inside my peehole
Four days ago i went to the STD clinic again they swabbed me and pulled blood out..
I gotta wait 8 more days to find out whats the out come.. But i know things will be negativ again..

Please DR. From one human being to another if u know what this could be. Please please. Help me.. im very sorry for writting such a long letter.
The more detail u have the better u can make sence of things i guess..

I cant find my area code on the selector.. Ill put my number here incase its needed.. XXXXXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 hours later

Just to revise the brief description of your illness. You had developed inflamed penis, urethral hole inflammation, burning, inflamed foreskin which was found incidentally. During first visit doctors diagnosed you with yeast or candida infection and you were given some cream (most likely clortrimazole cream). You noticed visible improvement but pain burning persisted in urethra and shaft of penis as well as to testicles. You visited doctor and all urine tests were normal. Dull pain was still there and you were also given two week course of Ciprofloxacin. But no improvement. Then bowel complaints also developed. You have been visited a multiple of STD clinics and every test came negative. Since last 5 months you are under stress and you have developed depressive symptoms also.

Now coming to management part, first of all I would like to know that what was the pH of urine at time of candida infection and also at present time, if you have reports you can tell me in follow up question.

-Even if all routine tests came negative still sometimes there may be chances of infection, like a number of pathogens as Chalamydia, Trichomonas, Ureaplasma which come negative in routine cultures and urine tests. Also the Ciprofloxacin don't fully cover these pathogens. The infection caused by these organisms is also labelled as Non Specific Urethritis. Symptoms like burning in penis and urethra, urge to urination, pain in pelvic region, bowel complaints etc are main symptoms Routine tests come negative in this case and proper clinical expertise is needed to diagnose this condition. Usual management include medicines like Doxicycline, Metronidazole. These medicines fully cover Non Specific Urethritis.

- Secondly, I will advise to get investigations for Urine pH. Sometimes even without infection acidic urine may cause burning and pain. Urine alkalizers like potassium citrate is needed to cover this problem.

- Specific swab tests for Chalamydia, trichomonas are required to be done to rule out cause.

- If everything come normal then other, although rare, possibility is hypochondriasis.
It is an illness which develops due to heightened anxiety. Individual after some minor or mild illness or sometimes spontaneously develop some bodily complaints. When evaluation done everything comes normal. Individuals of such illness usually visit multiple doctors and they never get proper satisfaction. Sometimes they have dominating thoughts of having some particular symptoms and due to this depression and stress develop in such persons. Proper evaluation by a Psychiatrist is needed in such cases to get proper relief. Mild doses of antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs will be sufficient. But visit a psychiatrist only after the tests I advised you, come negative.

Do not be sorry for long question, you have described your problem in very precise and elaborate manner. It helped a lot.

Hope, I cleared your doubt.

Thanks and wish you good health.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi M.D.
(Consultant Psychiatrist)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T