Got fracture at L2. Getting pain in back and difficulty to urinate. Do I have bladder infection?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: On January 1 I fell on my back and found that I had fractured L2..My urinating flow was normal at firtst and for the last six days it has been hardly coming out. I have been drinking water and liquids but now have a pain in the right side of my back. This was there at first from my fall but was improving...now it is there again.I feel I might have a bladder infection (why else would my urinary flow be minimul.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to HCM

The lumber vertebrae are in vicinity of spinal nerves which supply the lower limb and the pelvic organs including the urinary bladder.
Fracture of L2 can impinge upon the surrounding spinal nerves and cause nerve injury. At first it appears normal but later the urine retention worries.
I suggest you to visit your physician and get a MRI done soon.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
I have LREADY HAD AN X-RAY AND CAT SCAN tHE REPORT SHOWED THAT THERE WAS A COMPRESSION FRACTURE OF THE SUP[ERIOR END PLATE OF L2 WITHOUT A BURST FRACTURE. eVERYTHING ELSE APPEARED NORMAL, SO MY QUESTION IS THE MRI NECESSARY.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 34 minutes later
Hello again,

Yes, MRI is necessary as it gives better images of nerves and other soft tissues.

Thanks
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli