Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Got food poisoning. Not able to vomit. Should go for treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
Hi my husband and I are visiting US and he has probably picked up some food poisoning. He has had a nissen fundoplication laproscopic operation done in May this year. He needs to vomit but cannot bring anything up. Should he try to see a Doctor now or is it likely to be ok to wait and see if the problem passes through his system via intestine. He not feeling very well at the moment.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
If your husband had a fudoplication surgery recently,
the problem of not being not able to belch is very
common.It sounds like his surgeon has done a very
good fundoplication, some what too good, that your
husband is not able to belch or vomit.
I would recommend that he needs to see a gastroenterologist
as soon as possible, because he might need stretching through
sn endoscopic dilator to loosen that up a lttle.
This is an expected problem with this procedure.
It will get better with time.
Wish him well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor