Got femur fracture. Undergone surgery. Have numbness in private area. Any suggestion?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son has recently fractured his femur in two places, high up on his right leg, as a result of a skiing accident in South East France. He has just undergone surgery at a hospital in Sallanches and is now very worried because he has numbness in his "private parts". He is having difficulty communicating with the doctors and doesn't know whether this effect is normal. I would very grateful if you could advise.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Numbness (sometimes permanent or temporary ) may occur due to damage to superficial nerves when incising the skin and subcutaneous tissue during operation.

Numbness can also occur due to stretching of nerve fibers during operative procedure.

I advice you do not hesitate to communicate this with his operating surgeon. He or she may advice to take neurobion(methylcobalamin) tablets for recovery.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.