question-icon

Got dark red spots on arm and pain in rib. What could this be?

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Question: i got dark red spots on my arm within 30 minutes and immediate pain in my left side at rib height. what could this be?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues (2 hours later)
Hi there.
This seems something that needs to be looked at in the ER given your age.
Is the pain radiating? Is the rash fading? Are the dark red spots blistering with small grouped vesicles? This could easily be an attack of Herpes Zoster (viral infection) or a vascular phenomenon eg allergic purpura . Please do try & upload a photograph or better still, go across to the ER asap to get yourself sorted if the pain persists!
Dr PraveenRodrigues MD
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist