Got cut in vagina while having a test to confirm yeast infection. Have bleeding. What should I do?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: This evening I was trying to use a feminine care screening test to help confirm I had a yeast infection, or more to rule out abnormal pH. I didn't have a mirror available so I tried to insert the swab without a visual. It was painful and I stopped, but had used pressure initially. The indicator changed color immediately. I went pee right afterwards and when I wiped there was a lot of blood and stinging. I went and found a mirror and realized I pushed the test swab into my urethra opening and cut it. I immediately got in the shower, used dial soap and rinsing thoroughly. I just urinated again, a lot of stinging and blood again. What should be my next course of action? Should I go to my doctor? Or will it heal on its own if I am careful and keep it as clean as possible? I am pretty certain I do have a mild yeast infection, hence the reason for all of this, but decided not to use the Monistat treatment tonight because of this cut/injury. Will something like polysporin help?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 23 minutes later

Step first would be to see doctor.Severity of injury needs to be evaluate.Even if it heals on it's own , there is fear of urethral stricture formation due to fibrosis.

Though you have yeast infection, I guess you can try polysporin for the wound till you see doctor.This will prevent super-added infection.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.