Got cold and started breathing problem. Found infection in lung. Is it safe to use montek-4?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My son's age 3.5years. Suddenly he attack in cold and start breething problem (Shy ..shy sound were noticed at the time of taking and releasing breath). Visit to Doctor, he uses nebuliser to relief...and given antibiotic does for 7 days. My son is now relief from breathing problem(No soud were found right now) , but we feel some diturb in his throat it observe due to at the time of Khashi it feels caugh is there. We once again visit to Doctor. He check-up and say his chest is clear and say some allergy infection in lung may be posible. He has presribed "MONTEK-4"Tablet -dose I tab per day for one month. Is it safe for my child? Is there any Steroid in "MONTEK-4". Is there any side effect by taking this medicine? Please note that my son taken medicine "ATAREX" and "ZYTRETE" for last 2 years due to insect bytes and recently stop this medicine as per advice of Doctor. Please adviec and gide me.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I do feel your child is suffering from allergic rhinitis with bronchitis.

Allergies are common. Heredity and environmental exposures may contribute to predisposition to allergies.

The throat discomfort could be due to nasal allergy, followed by trickling of the nasal secretions from the nose into the throat. The inflammation in the throat gives rise to cough.

Montek - 4 helps to prevent the chest tightness, wheezing and breathlessness that is common in asthma. Montek - 4 is meant to be taken long-term. It is not meant for fast relief. 4 mg has to be given to children between 2-5 years.

Atarex and Zyrtec are antihistaminics to treat the episodes of allergy. But, Montek-4 is a mast cell stabilizer which is used to prevent attacks of allergy. It is safe to use Montek-4 even though you have given Atarex and Zyrtec.

My advice to you is:
1. To change his bed spread and pillow cover every night before going to bed
2. To give him plenty of warm water to drink - this will keep the mucosa of the nose and throat moist.
3. Avoid making him sleep under the fan or in front of the A/C blower.

With the above precautions he will definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon