• question-icon

Got chicken pox. What are the precaution to be taken?

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I am 30 year old guy and I got chicken pox, the prooblem is I have a one and half month old baby in house. I need to know what precautions do I need to take so that this does not get spread. Also there are two more kids who haave come here fo vacations 8yrs and 12 yrs there are vaccinated against pox so are they totally immune or I need to maintain distance from them also.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 52 minutes later
Thanks for posting this query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Chickenpox is contagious 1-2 days prior to the onset of rash till all the rashes get crusted. So during this period you should avoid close contact with other susceptible individuals.
Vaccinated individuals are protected.
If they are already exposed and have not got vaccinated before, get them vaccinated within 3-5 days of exposure.
But vaccine should be given only in those above 1 year of age. Your one and half months old baby cannot be given now. So try to avoid close contact with your baby.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist