Got bruise on head after an injury. Now getting headache. Took OTC medicine. Serious something?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: Hello. I've been having headaches for years but here lately, they have gotten a lot worse. I have Icepick Headaches and Migraines at least 5 days a week. 2 years ago, I slipped on a hard tile floor and my hit the back of my head. People said it sounded like a watermelon cracking. Ever since then, it feels like a fresh bruise back there and my headaches have gotten worse. I can't lay the back of my head on a pillow, back of a chair, or couch because the back of my head hurts so incredibly bad. It literally feels like someone punches me in the back of the head every day. After I fell, I couldn't move. I don't know if it was from shock that I fell and my brain was trying to recope but people tried to get me off the floor and I couldn't move for a couple of minutes. I couldn't go to the doctor because that was the day all the tornadoes tore through Alabama and our hospital got hit. I stayed home. I was extremely dizzy, and sleepy with a severe headache. My headaches seem to be getting worse and last for hours on end, even when I take OTC meds for them. The pain in my Occipital Lobe keeps getting worse and sometimes moves to my jaws and I can feel it in my teeth (if that makes sense). The Icepick Headaches are always in my Temporal Lobes. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

It looks like you have had a severe head injury. You need to consult a board certified surgeon as soon as possible. You are possibly having fracture of skull bone or scalp haematoma, that's why you are not able to keep the head on the pillow.

Pain radiating to jaw and teeth may be part of tension headache or neuropathic pain, which is your known and diagnosed pathology.
Sudden loss of consciousness is also a serious concern.

It may be due to syncopal attack or brain injury. So all intracranial injuries must be ruled out.

You need to go for CT SCAN brain. It will diagnose all possible etiologies.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E