Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Got bit on tongue. Noticed swelling, hurts to talk and swallow. How to overcome this problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
I bit my tongue earlier today. It hurt for a while, but now it's painful to talk or swallow- exceedingly so..

Tongue is very tender. On the right side is where the pain and swollen part is. Hurts to talk and swallow. Underneath my right jawbone I can feel and massage part of the pain- still hurts to massage it. looking at the tongue all of it is slightly discolored which can be scraped off (probably because of the chloraseptic spray I tried to use for the pain to no avail. And there's a small bloody scab on the tongue now I'm assuming which is where I bit it. But if my tongue is completely still in my mouth there is no pain except for a very slight throbbing.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

I have gone through your query. You seem to have bit fairly hard leading to severe pain on swallowing and even speaking.

The severity of tongue bite injury can only be discovered by a careful clinical examination. Any traumatic injuries are followed by inflammatory process which causes pain and swelling. You may have injured the muscles of tongue which might be causing the severe pain up to floor of mouth from where tongue muscles are attached. Thus the pain while talking and swallowing.

Inflammation settles down in a few days. Antiinflammatory analgesics such as Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day can bring down inflammatory changes earlier. You should be feeling better with this drug; however it is advisable to consult an E.N.T surgeon. He/she can carefully access the trauma and consider suturing of split ends (if present) and prescribe antibiotic to prevent bacterial contamination.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

With Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor