Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Got bit by a bee. Used ice and took benadryl. Now swelling and knot appeared. Is this normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
i got bit by a bee yesterday on a golf course.. i didn't have swelling as i once did years ago when i was bit by something and needed to call 911 because my throat closed up, but after this sting, i pulled out stinger from neck & applied ice for 30 min and took 2 benadryl which knocked me out for 2-3 hours.....
my ? is this, today i feel fine but the place on my neck where sting was is a bit swollen & i feel like i have a pea size knot under my skin....
anything i should do for it or is this normal?
thanks - XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 18 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Insect stings frequently cause an allergic reaction, the severity of which may vary from time to time and person to person.

The severest from is termed anaphylactic shock; you might have got it in the episode before.

Swelling in the site should be normal for a few days. However in certain cases oral antibiotics might be required to prevent superimposed infection.

So I suggest you visit a physician to do the needful. You can continue oral anti allergic tablets till you can see your physician.

Hope this is helpful.

I will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.

Best Wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got bit by a bee. Used ice and took benadryl. Now swelling and knot appeared. Is this normal? 39 minutes later
thanks for your reply
issue is i am out of the country so not sure where to see a dr
if i feel fine - should i just watch that it doesn;t get more swollen??
and if i feel fine as i do now, i assume i am ok?
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 7 minutes later

Thanks for following up.

If it is difficult to see a physician right away, you can take medications like ibuprofen and help reduce the inflammation.

If you have any topical antibiotic cream , like fusidic acid or mupirocin, you may use that twice daily as well.

If you are fine , you can observe the area for now.

If you do not have any further clarifications, you may close this and rate the answer.

Wish you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor