Got back injury and missing bowel movement. Is there any complication?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My father fell while bicycling recently and hurt his back. His back pain is improving but he hasn't had a bowel movement for 5 days. He's passed a little gas here and there, but that is all. Is this an emergency? What should he do?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 53 minutes later
Hi

If he hasn't passed bowels since 5 days it is a cause for concern. Since he has passed a little gas it may not be an absolute obstruction of intestines, however the history and its correlation with the fall is significant. I would suggest you report to your ER, ASAP and ask them for a X XXXXXXX abdomen standing and an ultrasound of abdomen to rule out an intestinal obstruction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Former Gastroenterology Registrar, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad.