Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Got an accident. Started getting headache, speech problem and have swollen hands. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
Last week on Oct 31, I had a car accident, hit a deer. Went to the emergency room in the area of the accident. They did a CT scan and xrays, nothing internally was wrong according to them. Left hand was swollen. They perscribed me medication for my pain. Since then, my headaches have gotten worse and frequent; my speech has been very confusing; it takes me a few seconds to process things; and I get a little confused in my thoughts sometimes. Went to my local doctor on Nov 6, described my symptons and he said that I probably have a concussion. He gave me medicine for the head pain and I'm schedule for a MRI on this Sat, Nov 10. This morning I noticed a red spot in my right eye and I was wondering was that a result of the accident. I have not gone back to work yet. I'm suppose to go back to work this Friday, Nov 9, but afraid to because on my headaches, speech problem, and concentration. What do I need to do in the meantime until I have my MRI. I'm 41 years old, 345 lbs, diabetic and high blood pressure which I am on oral medication for both.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Red spot in eye is unlikely to be related to accident, as if there would have been any eye injury it would have presented immediately after accident.

Actually the ideal step would be to consult a neurologist. In fact you can see a neurologist before getting MRI. Even a clinical evaluation by neurologist can make things more clear.Headache makes me suspicious of subdural haemorrhage ( a bleed between the 2 layers of membrane which cover the brain. this can sometimes not be present at the time of the initial CT)
In my view considering your current symptoms, there is possibility of an injury more than contusion. Medications advised are very likely to be symptomatic treatment.

Don't consider going for work.Don't drive or take up any physical task.Ask someone to be with you till you feel better.

MRI can make things more clear. If its not possible to see neurologist then consider a ER visit and get re-evaluation of current status done.

Hope that clarifies. Let me know if you have any more questions


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor