Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Got Pterigium. Having redness and irritation. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
I got my Pterigium from surfing and too many hours on computer too. I bought UV goggles for surfing, Panoptx sunglasses for other outdoor sports - I have an almost clear pair for using when on the computer for a long time - it will help keep your eyes from drying out which can lead to Pterygium growth. Mine emerged within a two week period about 14 months ago, but have not grown since. Redness and irritation are not as bad after first ~eight months. Please Help me.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Pterygium is a fleshy overgrowth of the conjunctiva which is a layer on eyeball, onto the nasal side of the cornea. It usually occurs in adults living in dry, dusty, windy areas.

Surgical Excision of a pterygium by an Eye Surgeon is indicated
1. If it is likely to interfere with vision by encroaching on the visual field
2. If there is redness of pterygium
3. If it is uncomfortable or disfiguring.

Otherwise, Surgical Excision is not commonly indicated.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further queries!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got Pterigium. Having redness and irritation. Help? 17 hours later
Show suggestions to cure me, I leveled it to treat.
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thanks for the update. Surgical excision is the only permanent cure for pterygium, but is only indicated under certain circumstances as I mentioned above.

You should try keeping your eye from getting dry. Avoid dusty and windy areas. These things help only in the further growth and redness. But the only definitive treatment available for pterygium is Surgical excision by an Eye surgeon.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor