Got MSRA as the result of removing a dysplastic mole. Need of operation?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I got MSRA as the result of a dermatologist removing a dysplastic mole. This was 6 years ago. It took the wound 52 days to close. I had the help of a good wound doctor.

For six years I have had no reoccurrence of the MSRA. However, 7 days ago my elbow became very inflamed for no apparent reason. It was red and hot. I went to a doctor. He gave me cephalexin which did not work. The whol e front of my arm became red. Two days later I went to my wound doctor. He put me on a combination of Zyvox and Minocycline. Two days after taking the medication the redness went away in my arm but remained in the tip of my elbow. At no time did I have a fever while all of this was going on. My question to you is how do I get rid of the MRSA that remains in the tip of my elbow. The tip of the elbow is pink and the swelling has subsidedbut it is still tender to the touch. Do I need an operation? If so what kind? I don't believe the medication will make the MRSA go away that is in the tip of my elbow. The wound doctor told me that he expected that this would happen. He said that I may need to have an operation. What kind of operation do I need?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

First of all why do you think that it is MRSA. Was a culture done and did it report MRSA?

Secondly, without having a look at the lesion it is difficult to give you any guidance. I suggest you upload a photograph of the lesion so that some advice can be given. You can use the facility provided on this platform for uploading the photograph.

Thirdly, if Zyvox and Minocycline has reduced the swelling then do complete the course of antibiotic. The doctor must have added an anti-inflammatory medicine which shall reduce the tenderness as the infection is taken care of.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to add more facts to the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK