Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Got MSRA as the result of removing a dysplastic mole. Need of operation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
I got MSRA as the result of a dermatologist removing a dysplastic mole. This was 6 years ago. It took the wound 52 days to close. I had the help of a good wound doctor.

For six years I have had no reoccurrence of the MSRA. However, 7 days ago my elbow became very inflamed for no apparent reason. It was red and hot. I went to a doctor. He gave me cephalexin which did not work. The whol e front of my arm became red. Two days later I went to my wound doctor. He put me on a combination of Zyvox and Minocycline. Two days after taking the medication the redness went away in my arm but remained in the tip of my elbow. At no time did I have a fever while all of this was going on. My question to you is how do I get rid of the MRSA that remains in the tip of my elbow. The tip of the elbow is pink and the swelling has subsidedbut it is still tender to the touch. Do I need an operation? If so what kind? I don't believe the medication will make the MRSA go away that is in the tip of my elbow. The wound doctor told me that he expected that this would happen. He said that I may need to have an operation. What kind of operation do I need?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

First of all why do you think that it is MRSA. Was a culture done and did it report MRSA?

Secondly, without having a look at the lesion it is difficult to give you any guidance. I suggest you upload a photograph of the lesion so that some advice can be given. You can use the facility provided on this platform for uploading the photograph.

Thirdly, if Zyvox and Minocycline has reduced the swelling then do complete the course of antibiotic. The doctor must have added an anti-inflammatory medicine which shall reduce the tenderness as the infection is taken care of.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to add more facts to the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor