question-icon

Good Afternoon, I Have A Question My Son Is 24

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018
Question: Good afternoon,

I have a question my son is 24 years old and he is traveling with his dad working. He was recently in Tennesse and he went out to eat at a restaurant and had some kind of chicken XXXXXXX He said he was deadly sick afterwards throwing up and diarrhea. A few days later he has developed hives all over his legs arms and chest. I am not able see exactly how they look he said they are red and swollen. I am very concerned for him I know it had to be some type of allergic reaction. We just have no clue what it could be. He said he can't take time off work to take like a Benadryl cause that will knock him out. Do you have any advice for us or know what it could be. Is this something life threatening. He is far away from me I am in California. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Arnold Zedd (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
vomiting and diarrhea followed by skin rash

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Mrs. Strucking, and welcome to Ask A Doctor. I have read your query and here is my advice.
From your son's history, there is a strong likelihood that his vomiting and diarrhea were due to food poisoning. Unless he continued to eat that chicken dish after he took ill the first day, I do not think his rash is due to the chicken that he ate several days earlier.
A common allergic rash is hives. This is a red-pink, raised rash with irregular shapes and sizes that is very itchy. It can be due to foods, drugs, or exposure to cold temperatures, but most of the time the cause is not found. The rash usually
disappears within several days.
Your son can take a bedtime dose of Benadryl for sedation, improve sleep, and reduce scratching. He may take a lower dose of Benadryl(to avoid sedation) during the day.
Prax or Pramagel Lotion(both are over the counter) applied to his skin may also provide some relief.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your son relief and good health.
Arnold Zedd, MD, FAAP

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Arnold Zedd

Pediatrician