Good Morning, I have seen bright red blood in my

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Good Morning, I have seen bright red blood in my stool both today and yesterday. 12 hours before I ate a beet salad so I'm thinking that could be the culprit. I'm about to leave town for a week to help our family with two small children, so my question is: is it imperative that I see a doctor today about the blood in the stool?
Add'l bkground: I am up to date on colonoscopy screening. I have been drinking metamucil every morning for 20 + years, so my bowels are very regular, often twice before noon, and always loose. I never strain to pass a stool. I am in very good health. I'm 5 ' 8" tall and weight 130#, a weight I have maintained forever. I exercise 5x/week. Fundamentally, I am very healthy, but concerned about the blood in the stool, especially since I want to leave town tomorrow, as planned.
Thank You for your advice, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is absolutely harmless

Detailed Answer:
Hi Pgriffith004,

It is completely normal to have somewhat red stools after eating beets. Considering your history with updated colonoscopy as well, you should not be worried at all. Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D