Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Gonorrhea, taken Ceftriaxone. Correct medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi I contracted Gonorrea last week, I went to the doctors they gave me 6 ceftriavone ratiopharm (i am in itay at the moment) but i am not shore it is working as I have one day left and still all the signs of Gonorrea. Is this the correct medication?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Previously, a class of antibiotics known as the fluoroquinolones was widely used for gonorrhea infection but it developed resistance and hence now injectable ceftriaxone appears to be one of the few effective antibiotics.

Ceftriaxone disodium salt (a derivative of Ceftriaxone) is reported as an ingredient of Ceftriaxone ratiopharm in Italy and it is one of the first line of treatment of gonorrhea. You have been prescribed the correct medicine.

In your case, if the symptoms are persisting then it is important to look out for other STD’s like chlmaydia which may be accompanying gonorrhea and is often found in 60% of the cases.

Chlamydia treatment includes antibiotics like doxycycline and Azithromycin and you may need these medicines as well. So you can get them prescribed from your doctor.

Secondly, to avoid re-infection, any sexual partners should be treated too. If you have any active sexual partner then she also needs treatment as she may be the source of reinfection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor