Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Going through puberty, noticed white hair like strands from area of penis. What could be this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
hi, im 12, male, going through puberty since about 10, and a while ago today, saw, and pulled out, some white hair like strands from the area of my penis from the heas to the area you see with the foreskin rolled back, right where the string like thing keeps your foreskin on your glans, i am freaking out, and i need answers, i wont tell anyone i know unless it is serious
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 40 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
Dont worry at all, It is a completely normal thing.
It is just secretion of glands present in the sulcus on glans.
This secretion gets collected and comes out as thread like material.

According to me there is nothing serious.
Even then to ascertain my diagnosis, if possible please attach a photograph of your glans.
There is an option to attach photograph on right side of query page.
You can utilize that.
But be assured there is nothing serious.
You can just relax.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Going through puberty, noticed white hair like strands from area of penis. What could be this? 46 hours later
it usually happens after i masturbate, and the thing is a whit string, most of the time with a thick, lint like "head" around where i first see it, the strings come out of one, or 2 of the 2 tiny hole-ish places right next to the bottom of the thing that keeps the foreskin attatched, where if you pull it all the way back, the area im talking about is kind of hidden next to the connector thing, please help, and give the most detailed explanation possible, i doubt it is worms, but i need answers
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

First of all, I would like to reassure you, that stop worrying.
You are totally fine and the condition what you have is totally normal and seen in every male.

There are no worms which reside in the glans, so please forget about worms.

Now I will explain you what it is...

There are glands all over the coronal sulcus of glans penis.
These glands are called as Tyson's glands.
They continuously produce a thick transparent material called as smegma.
This smegma gets collected in the coronal sulcus and mainly near the attachment of prepuse.

This smegma gets mixed with derbies of skin and forms a thread like white material.
During masturbation you rub the penis and hence the accumulation of debris is more, so you see the white material more clearly, which you thought to be worm.

Hope I explained you in best possible way.

Even though if you still have doubts, kindly try to upload a photograph of that worm like thing and I will tell you exactly what it is.

Wishing you good health.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor