Given overdose of colicaid to a 3 weeks child. Is there any side effect?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: our son is 3 weeks old and we have given him overdose of colicaid about 1ml 3 times for 2 days instead of 4 drops.. is there any side effects because of overdose? he is not feeding properly and having XXXXXXX liquid stool now.. what we can do now ?Also we have given him 1ml of mucolite ...
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Do not worry.
It contains simethicone, dill oil and fennel oil.

Simethicone is an anti foaming agent and helps in removing the gas.
Fortunately it does not get absorbed into the body and hence side effects are far rare!!! ( good news for you!!),rather none.

Continue breast feeds and wait and watch for 2-3 days.
Colic are common in babies.
Do not medicate babies unnecessarily as far as possible.

He will be alright.
If loose motions increase go to the nearest pediatrician for examining the baby.
You may have to give some oral electrolyte powder mixed in clean water.

God bless
Dr Uma