Getting yellow stringy substance in stool. Could it be mucus or bile?

Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I've been having a yellowish XXXXXXX slimy substance with my stool thats been going on for several months now. The stool is often mushy and not completley digested. I'm not sure if this could be mucus or bile. I've been doing a lot of reading and i'm sure its one or the other but just not sure which one it is
Answered by Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri 8 hours later

From your description it could indeed be both. Mucus is slimy but white in color, while bile is yellow or XXXXXXX Presence of bile in stools is not abnormal, and it could well be imparting a yellowish hue to the mucus.

Presence of both these is however not of much clinical concern. What would be concerning is presence of white blood cells (pus) or blood (either XXXXXXX or occult).

Therefore I suggest you get your stool examined well, especially for these two. Increasing intake of fiber could help.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad