Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Getting what it looks like cold sore on penis. Got negative test for herpes. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hi, I have been constantly getting what it looks like a cold sore on shaft of penis. To be precise, when the fore skin is pulled back the little thread like thing that is seen just on that. It is just a single sore. I doubted it to be herpes and got it checked and the result is negative and I have got the test done 3 times all times ig is negative. I am taking acivir but dono if it is the right medicine. Can you please tell me what it could be and which medicine needs to be taken
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider other causes; treatment will vary

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Usually a sore(s) on the penis is seen in association with genital herpes, but if you have repeatedly tested negative for herpes tests, then you should consider requesting your doctor to look for other conditions that can cause a sore on the penis:
-Gonorrhea (treated with antibiotics)
-Chlamydia (treated with antibiotics)
-Syphilis (treated with specific-antibiotics like penicillin's)
-A simple benign growth called a wart (treatment depends on type of growth and extent of involvement)

The medication you are currently on (i.e. acivir) would be appropriate if you were seeking treatment for herpes; but as there are other possible causes on the list you should visit your doctor and find the exact cause, and accordingly get treated.

I hope I have succeeded in providing you information on the other possible causes and how treatment varies in each case. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor