Getting vancomycin for diabetic leg ulcers. Have klebsiella pneumoniae in wound. Any suggestion?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: i am getting Vancomycin, 1 gram, daily, for MRSA in a diabetic ulcer on my lower leg. Have been treating this way since Thanksgiving. Last cultue of the ulcer, shows i also have Klebsielliapneumonia in the wound. Added Augmentin and Align to my meds. The ulcer is nearly healed, they use silvercell and compression dressing on the area. My concern is the new bacteria. How XXXXXXX is this? NP with wound care Dr. said it is susceptible to several drugs, which is good. Should I be seeing an Infectious disease dr?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Klebsiella pneumoniae often affects people with poor immune systems from community-acquired disease, such as diabetics and alcoholics. Klebsiella is increasingly seen as an opportunistic infection in people hospitalized for other reasons, spread by lack of hand washing among hospital personnel. Klebsiella often affects the lungs, but can also infect the urinary tract and liver, and can cause wound and bloodstream infections.
However if the susceptibility patterns show that the organism is sensitive to most of the antibiotics then it's not very worrisome and the Antibiotic started ( augmentin) should take care of that. As of now if the wound is healing and you have no added symptoms like fever, chills , flu like illness then there is nothing to worry about and the treatment seems appropriate for the local wound infection with kebsiella and MRSA.
So please do not worry . Yet as a health conscious individual do practice good hand hygiene when handling the wound to prevent spread of infection.I am sure you must be doing so and appreciate your efforts for the same.
As of now you need not do anything specific for this superinfection with kebsiella .
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.