Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Getting tiny pus filled bumps on breast look like hair follicle. No redness or swelling. Suggest?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
I am getting tiny pus filled bumps on my breast.There are three of them. They look like they're a hair follicle.No redness or swelling or anything different on the breast either than the tiny pustules.I noticed the first one approx three weeks ago. The other two a couple days ago. The first one was larger and looked more like a pimple. I've squeezed it twice but it came back. The other two are tiny dots.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture , that would help me narrow down the diagnostic options.
Right now, going by what you have described, you seem to be having Folliculitis.
This is infection of a hair follicle, normally caused in areas such as the breast ( particularly creases ), buttocks, groin etc, where the areas are damp and sweaty.
It could have been triggered by plucking or pulling out a hair follicle, or due to abrasion by tight bras etc. Following factors might aggravate it -
> Wearing tight clothing and/or non-breathable fabrics
> Hot, humid weather;
> Smoking;
> Hormonal changes which are common after menopause
> Being overweight
> Being diabetic or immunocompromised
You should not sqeeze them on your own, as sometimes the infection might spread leading to an abscess.
If they are not painful, you do not need any painkillers.
However, you might require antibiotic therapy to clear off the pustules.
It is better to consult your gynecologist for starting off antibiotic therapy, once the diagnosis is confirmed.
If this is a first time event, do not worry, however , if this has happened before ( on the breast or other areas ) - you might be having HS ( hidradenitis suppurativa ) - a condition with chronic eruptions of boils and pustules in prone areas.
THis also requires systematic treatment by a doctor.
While you see your doctor - the following steps will help -
1. Wear loose cotton non allergenic bras - in private, it is better to air the affected part and keep it loose and open.
2. Wash the affected area with a bactericidal solution or soap ( for eg. Cetaphil )
3. Do not touch the boils / pustules / pimples with your hand at all . The more you handle them, the more are the chances of their increasing / spreading.
4. Get your blood sugars tested for diabetic or pre diabetic states.

I hope this answer helped you.
I would be happy to address any follow up questions that you might have.
All the best.
Stay healthy always.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor