Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Getting tingling sensations with pounding heart. Suffered from panic attack and anxiety. Should I go to doctor?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hi I keep walking up with my heart pounding for say 2 to 3 minutes . It happens every month about a week before my menstral cycle and is quite frightening. I get tingling sensations before it happens and feel quite on edge . I have suffered from panic attacks previously and always put these type of feelings down to anxiety. Should I get this checked out ? I have totally changed my life around and do not drink caffeine or alcohol and I exercise regularly .
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the described symptomatology, theres appears to be possibilities of heart disease, premenstrual tension and panic attacks.
As it is occurring every month before menses, there is high chances of premenstrual tension.
Still possibility of heart disease and panic attacks can't be ruled out.
Heart disease may be a form of arrhythmias such as presence of extra beats, missed beats and disturbances in rhythm of heart.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and gynecologist simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for electrocardiograph (ECG) and thyroid profile, serum electrolytes and lipid profile.
In case of ant doubt, you can also go for electro physiological studies of heart.

You should avoid coffee and alcohol as it may precipitate arrhythmias and panic attacks.
As such there is no need of any treatment for premenstrual tension but you may take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors under guidance of XXXXXXX medicine specialist or psychiatrist.
This will help you in premenstrual tension as well as panic attacks.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor