Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Getting throbbing sensation while leaning down and having headache. Suggest some medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
Hi, I'm a 57 year old female, though you'd never know it because I play on recreation sports teams, ski, and ride my bike 5 miles to work. My weight and blood pressure are appropriate. On occasion if I'd lean down to tie my shoe, my head would throb until I was upright again. Too, with the coolness of the weather, I could wake up with a headache which would go away once I got going. Lately however, with each step on the volleyball court or each crack in the road I'd go over with my bike, my head would throb for a second or two. It wasn't as bad today riding to work as it was Friday. Before it was just when the weather was cool, but now it seems to happen daily if I'm doing anything more than walking. I've always been in great shape, with no health problems so I don't even have a G.P. or take any pills other than vitamins. Suggestions? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Your fitness at this age is really impressive.

The symptom of throbbing headache on bending forward, on cold exposure and with jerks seems to be related to sinus problems. The lining sinuses swell up during sinusitis and block the free flow of air within it, build up pressure and causes headache.

I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist and he can evaluate for sinuses. If nothing comes up on that then you may have to be evaluated for any problems inside the skull which would need neurology consultation and may be scan.

For now you can avoid cold exposure and try to keep yourself warmer.

If you have any more queries I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting throbbing sensation while leaning down and having headache. Suggest some medicine 22 hours later
I haven't had sinus problems before. Last night while playing volleyball my head would throb with each running step, and likewise today if I attempted to run, it would throb until I stopped. Typically I only got that reaction when it was cold, but now the temperature has still been in the 70-80's and I'm getting's now been 5 days straight of head throbs with activity.

With that information, would you recommend a scan? If so, do I have to see a G.P. first or can I just make an appointment with a specialist?

Thanks again,

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 3 hours later

I would not recommend scan directly. The ideal approach would be to visit a GP and then he can refer you to ENT/ neurologist depending on the need. A scan may be done whenever required.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck!!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor