Getting throbbing sensation in ankle and calf. What is the cause and cure?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My ankle has been bothering me for about 4 days now. There's persistent throbbing and it's a little difficult to put pressure on. Today, the pain has begun to spread to the middle of my calf. I'm not quite sure if it's an actual injury or not because there isn't any swelling or bruising.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

It is possible that you may have developed ligament injury or a hairline fracture that might be cause for your pain. Was there any trauma?

Bursitis can also be cause for your ankle pain since you had past history of bursitis.
Risks factor for this condition include starting an aggressive workout schedule, or suddenly increasing activity level without the right conditioning. Repeated or too much use of the ankle such as too much walking, running, or jumping can cause this bursa to become irritated and inflamed.

Any of the aforementioned causes can cause troubling ankle pain. Since the pain is bothering you, I would recommend getting X-ray/CT/MRI scan to rule out injury/inflamed bursa. Therefore consulting an orthopedic is advisable.

In the interim, you can follow this to decrease your pain.

• Avoid activities that cause pain such as bearing weight on the affected limb.
• Ice the heel several times a day.
• Take painkiller medications like ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after food.
• Try over-the-counter or custom heel wedges to help decrease the stress on the heel.

I hope I have answered your question. If you have any further question I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad