Getting sweat urine smell with burning sensation. Tested positive for UTI. What should be done?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: For the past few days, I have noticed that my urine is extremely clear, practically water-clear, with a slightly (very slight) cloudy appearance, and a strange, strong, sweet smell. It also burns when I urinate. I took a UTI at-home test and it came back positive, and that explains the burning sensation and frequency, but I have never experienced the smell or had my urine so clear with UTIs before. Is this another symptom of the UTI, or is there could there be another issue? The urine was clear a couple days before the burning sensation started.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Sweet urine smell is most probably caused by high glucose level in the urine. It is caused by high blood sugar level due to Diabetes. Human body, when the blood sugar level is high, tries to eliminate it with the urine. To do that, it stimulates liquid intake by increased thirsty feeling. If you do start more water intake, the frequency of the urination rises and the urinobilinogen (which is yellow) level in urine decreases so the urine gets clear.
UTI is just a result of increased urine sugar level as bacterias needs sugar to grow.
So if you do also suffer from thirsty, frequent urination, you should have your blood sugar checked. Urine analysis is also necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Is it possible for diabetes to just show up in someone my age out of no where? My diet and activity level hasn't changed, and my grandparents' diabetes didn't show up until they were in their 50s.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Hello!

Yes it is possible. Diabetes usually can give no symptoms for years. Moreover, there are two types of it. You may suffer from type 1 which is autoimmune pancreas disease and is caused by insulin-secreting pancreas cells destruction by your own body. Type 2 is much different and has nothing in common with autoimmune. It is caused by obesity, bad diet etc. And it does not affect pancreas. But this is only theory and as long as you wont check your blood sugar, you can not be sure.

Hope this will help.
Regards.