Getting sudden feeling of weakness in hands after laughing. Any advice?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi -
After laughing, my hands go completely weak - to the point where I drop things I'm holding, etc. It normally only lasts a few minutes but today it has lasted all day - this has been going on as long as I can remember. It happens after sneezing as well.

I've had my blood tested and electrolytes, thyroid, etc. was fine.

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The sudden feeling of weakness after laughing is likely to be due to hyperventilation associated with violent laughing.
The same is likely to happen after sneezing. This is not a pathological disorder and is a physiological phenomenon. Taking XXXXXXX breaths slowly will help in reducing such symptoms.
Since all your investigations are within normal limits, there is nothing to worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.