Getting skipped heartbeat. What's wrong?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is wrong when my heart skips a beat every nowand then?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

When heart skips a beat we can say that this is heart arrhythmia. There is a lot of types of arrhythmia like blocks, atrial fibrillation, additional beats and many more. Arrhythmia can appear due to stress, coffee intake, high blood pressure, heart ischemia, low calcium level, low magnesium level, some medicines like beta-blockers and many more. Most of heart arrhythmias are not XXXXXXX however it is important to rule out those which can be life threatening (for example blocks can lead to heart stop, atrial fibrillation can cause thrombosis and leads to strokes). To do that, you should have regular ECG performed and if no changes found, 24 hours Holters ECG. Some arrhythmias do need peacemaker implantation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.