Getting sharp pain in lower abdomen. History of cysts and ovary removal. What is causing this?

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Today I started getting sharp stabbing pain in my lower central abdomen. I have a history of cysts. Had my right ovary removed because of it. The pain is not constant, just comes and goes. Has happened three times today. Not sure what it could be.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Intermittent abdominal discomfort is not uncommon. In your case there is most likely a very benign cause of the symptoms.

Some of the most common potential causes of these types of symptoms include gas pain as well as mild constipation.

I would recommend that for the next couple of days that you pay close attention to maintaining good hydration with plenty of water. In addition I would change your diet to something that is more bland and includes the bread rice applesauce or toast. I would stay away from heavy greasy foods as well.

However, if the pain is severe or if you have associated fevers chills nausea or vomiting this is something that you would want to bring to your local emergency department for immediate evaluation.

Most of the time abdominal pain comes and goes without any significant associated problem. Rarely however there might be something that needs to be addressed by your doctor. Again I would monitor the symptoms very closely and seek medical attention if things get more severe or unbearable.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this.

Finally I don't think this is related to your previous history of ovarian cysts.

Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist