Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Getting redness on face and knee after shower or drinking alcohol. What could be the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
When I shower, and when I drink alcohol (even 3 sips), I get red in the face, knees, and almost hive-like patterns on my legs, but that aren't raised—just warm/hot and large blotches. What could this be a symptom of? I'm not necessarily looking to take any medicine, unless it's a big concern. I just can't figure out why. Also, my showers aren't that hot. I am prone to inflammation and want to get to the root of it. I'm not sure this falls in the asthma/allergy section, but it seemed to fit the best. I'm worried it's an autoimmune problem or something endocrine. • Chronic, low-grade, (seemingly) full-body inflammation (varies day to day), but not related to injury, which is often, extremely warm to the touch and expresses most in hands, feet, joints, and muscles. • Rashes and hives, varied in type, and seemingly unrelated to stimulus (sometimes, with hives, when under stress, lasting up to three or four months). • Hypersensitive: stress, food, perfumes, etc. • Psoriasis, diagnosed as a child (but in remission or misdiagnosed). • Possible continually high histamine level.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
You may have what is called CARCINOID SYNDROME, due to carcinoid tumours arising most commonly from the appendix or the small intestine, which secrete chemicals called serotonin and bradykinin.
A 24 hour urine for A CHEMICAL called HIAA is needed and if found high, systematic evaluation is necessary to locate the tumour.
Diagnostic aids are Isotope nuclear scan, CT, MRI,BARIUM MEAL SERIES, ENDOSCOPY.
Based on the findings, treatment will be offered.
Symptomatic relief can be obtained by specific medicines against these chemicals.
Once the tumor is localized, surgical removal may be necessary.
Kindly take medical advice early and get well soon. Pl.keep me informed about your progress.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor