Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Getting puss filled bumps and rashes on skin near tattoo. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Got rash starts out red then turns bumpy and white with puss comes out it has and eye like a pimple or boil. I only started getting it on when my tattoo was healed. The rash is on the tattoo
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering the details you have provided you seem to be most probably suffering from tattooing induced skin infection.

A skin infection — which might cause redness, swelling, pain and a pus-like drainage is possible after tattooing.
You should not neglect this rash and get it evaluated by your doctor as soon as convenient . The doctor may carry out tests to confirm the causative infection whether acute bacterial or chronic mycobacterial etc and to rule out any allergic reaction ( for eg pus smear and culture )
After confirmation he can start you on most suitable antibiotic course either cephalosporins or tetracyclines etc along with local antibiotic ointments .
With proper treatment it should resolve completely within a couple of weeks .
So please do not hesitate to consult your doctor and even if it may seem a minor localized infection as of now do not delay treatment as there is a risk of further progression and spread if neglected.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor