Getting prolonged periods after using MTP kit. Worrisome

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: Its been 17 days since i have been bleeding... I used MTP kit and last dose was on 20th Nov 2012, from next day bleeding started and bleeding since then... I m now too worried, what should I do.... Normally how much time it takes to clean up..... I was 2 week pregnant when i took the first dose....
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

The bleeding indicates possibility of incomplete abortion.

Normal bleeding after taking MTP KIt may occur upto 7 to 10 days. Not more than that.

So, this bleeding should be controlled forcefully. You have to consult with a gynecologist for clinical examination and for ordering investigations like Ultrasound scan to detect any abnormalities and for further management.

The main stay treatment is Dilation and curettage. It will check the bleeding.

So, consult with a gynecologist immediately.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later
So after stopping the bleeding forcefully, everything will get normal.... like normal time to time periods... i am afraid of going for clinical examination, is there any thing i can do at home... please understand i have my family... if they would knw it
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 55 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, it is basically a side effect of the MTP kit. Now, D&C as I previously told is a small operation. So, you have to go for clinical examination. There is no other option.

Yes, if you go for D&C , it will give you relief and then, you will have only monthly bleeding.

If you do not go to a gynecologist, the condition may aggravate. So, it is better to go for that.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 17 hours later
One last thing, just for my knowledge... Is it all legal to go for these check ups and what is the cost involve in it... any clinic in delhi you can refer to...

Most important thing is... small pieces/tissues kind of things are still coming out with the blood, so does that mean doses are still working... there is no sign of tiredness, pain or severe attack....

please consider these points as well and reply
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 48 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

The symptom you described, indicates more definitely towards incomplete abortion. So, you have to go to a gynecologist.

Though it is not legal for unmarried women, in emergency situation there will be no problem. So, consult with a gynecologist face to face. Only a gynecologist can solve this problem. It is not possible to name any particular doctor or in this website. The cost cannot be told, because it varies greatly.

Regards.