Getting plugged up feeling in head. Is it safe to take benadryl or dayquil?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: i am not currently in a-fib but have been i now have a head cold, my head is all plugged up, can i take benadryl , dayquil or anything ? thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think you are suffering from severe sinusitis, which is causing the plugged up feeling in your head.
As first aid you can take Syrup benadryl 2 tsp at night but this will make you sleepy. In addition, you can take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily for 3-4 daily and take steam inhalation thrice a day. It will decongest the nasal cavity and sinuses.
However , you should consult your physician or a board certified ENT specialist for oral and nasal examination. Then a course of antibiotics can be started depending on clinical situation.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli