Getting panic attack from long. Having fever all the time. Any proper treatment?

Dr. Susanta Padhy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Long story fairly short, I've had panic since I was eight. (28 now.) I had a horrible experience at the same age, where I went to sleep feeling fine and woke up with a fever of 104 - bad flu. I was vomitting so much I couldn't keep down meds - was hysterical. I now tend to have fevers and overheating, or getting a bad fever alone, as a huge panic trigger.
This week, I've been sick. Clearly just a head cold - mild sinus problem possible. I started to feel a bit better, never had more than a very low grade fever if I had one at all. (I generally run about 97.6 - about a week before my period it's a week until, nowI can be more normal in my temps, in the 98s*
I had a massive panic attack tonight. I'm getting a bad sore throat, right after I licked this cold. Been terrified I'm getting the flu, and I live alone for the first time, so I'm horrified. I was forced into a Christmas part tonight, and I panicked continually from about 9:30 until about an hour ago (2:30). Also I'm still shivery and occasionally nauesous. But it was awful - I threw up three times, felt like I was going to faint, was sobbing hysterically. Really rough.
I took my temp during the attack, and at first it was clearly going to be above 98.8 or so, so I took out the thermometer to stay calmer. About five minutes later I tried, and I was at 98.5. I calmed about that, but still was panicking like crazy.
I've been planning on not sleeping until my bf gets here tomorrow morning, so I don't wake up sicker. But I'm starting to feel a bit better, still worn out and nervous. I was getting tired, so I thought I'd take my temp and see if it was normal, and if it was, I thought I may be calm enough to sleep.
Well, just took it, and it's at 100.1.
I know an attack can raise your temp - is it possible mine is still raised? Or do I suddenly have a fever after all?
Thanks much.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later

Thanks for the query. I apologize for the late reply.

Technically, we say fever when morning temperature is more than 98.8 degree F; OR evening temp is more than 99.9 degree F. Hence you need to record temp on few occasions.

Scientifically, panic disorder is not a cause of fever rather during panic attack one may feel febrile, body may feel heated but temperature record by thermometer is normal.

On the contrary, fever can be a cause of panic attack

In such situations of confusion, one should consult first a physician, because if fever is there then it has to be treated at earliest to minimize complications. However, if your physician opines that there is no fever and no need of any treatment from his side, then benzodiazepines should help for acute treatment for panic attack.

Hope this answers some of your doubts. I am available for further query

Wish you a good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad