Getting painful scabs in nose. What could it be and how to get rid of this?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, for the past few months I've been getting quite bad scabs in my nose mainly my left nostril, they can be quite sore and painful, I've tried moisturising them but doesn't seem to be helping as they come back with an hour or so, just wondered if you could give me any advise on what this could be and how I could get rid of them, as I'm starting to get quite embarrassed and paranoid about them. Thankyou.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your nose examined by an ENT Specialist and get a video nasal endoscopy done. Share the images here for an accurate assessment.

2. Common causes for scabs are nasal obstruction due to a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), hypertrophied nasal turbinates, Atrophic Rhinitis and so on. The image that you have sent is not clear. Try to get one in daytime / sunlight. The nose is a large structure and only an external image is insufficient. Is there a foul smell from the nose or scabs?

3. You should wash your sinuses with a solution of normal saline with a pinch of baking soda added to it.

4. An ideal treatment combination includes an anti-histamine like levocetrizine or rupatidine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray, saline nasal washes and steam inhalation. Supportive treatment such as decongestants, mucolytics. Measures for dental hygiene should be taken.

5. You may share your Nasal endoscopy images, CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan and investigation (routine blood) reports here for more specific treatment options.

Regards.