Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Getting painful and heavy bleeding. Ultrasound done. Will it cause any problem in conceiving?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
Hi I just had a Transabdominally scan and the ultrasound revealed that my Anterior Firbroid measured 3.5CM and the posterior firbroid 4.3CM with the endometrium measuring 10MM in thickness, with that being my age is 30 and the fact that I goes through period cycles with constant excruciating sharp pain and loss of blood more than the average person is this something that can be fixed, what do you recommend, right now I go through lots of advil to combat the paid which I believe is not normal. will it cause issues when I get pregnant and do we need to worry about cancer? What are the long term effects and what can we do now to prevent and long term issues especially with pregancy?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The fibroids that you are having are causing the extra blood loss and the pain during the periods. Uterine Fibroids also called Fibromyomas are non-cancerous growths that appear during childbearing years and rarely require treatment only when they cause discomfort, sharp Pelvic pains or Profuse Menstrual Bleeding.

You need to have Oral Contraceptives (OCs) which will help you control your menstrual bleeding, but they don't reduce fibroid size. Fibroids grow under the Hormonal Influence and do not interfere with your fertility and don't pose any problem in you conceiving and they gradually shrink when you attain Menopause.

OCs will control your Bleeding, and you will have to stop taking them a week prior when you plan to conceive. Speak to your Doctor, your treating doctor will guide you about this.

Stick to your treatment plan and schedule regular follow up with your Gynecologist, so that she can do a Physical examination, Ultrasound scan and if necessary Hysteroscopy to know the size of fibroids or if there is any new growth.

If they are not responding to medicines and are still symptomatic, your Doctor may try with other hormonal drugs. If they are resistant to them also, then she might ask you to conceive. After the delivery, she might do any of the following surgical procedures to remove them:
1.) Myomectomy, that is removal of the Fibroid either through Open abdominal surgery, Laparoscopically or Hysteroscopically.
2.) tissue.
3.) Burning it using heat or Microwave energy.

Your treating doctor will know which procedure will suit you better if at all he/she considers it necessary.

To avoid anemia, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. Avoid stress and Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor