Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Getting pain on knee. X-ray normal. Prescribed painkiller. Any suggestion?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
my son is 27 , he has pain in his right knee off on ,the orthopaedic got the x XXXXXXX done which is normal ,, but prescribed pain kilker, cartigen for a week , he is a young boy restricted by this
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
This isnt normal to have knee pain withour reason in his age. Xray can se only bones, cartilage and possible fractures. For more detailed investigation he should do MRI because it can detect ligaments,muscles and meniscus. So consult your GO and insist on MRI because there is no another test appropriate for this.
ALso he can kave some knee steroid injections and knee needle aspiration after which joint fluit can be analysed. There are some systemic diseases which can cause knee pain as well so he also need to check uric acid, rheumatoid factor and calcium levels.
Till the right diagnosis he should apply some cold compresses and keep leg elevated. Also he must avoid excessive exercise till pain subside.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting pain on knee. X-ray normal. Prescribed painkiller. Any suggestion? 5 minutes later
he was advised mri but he has braces on his teeth which are gonna be off within a month,, he cannot afford to be resting ,, he is at some ftriends wedding at present ,, again pain started after dancing
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Then he can do CT scan, it can be helpful in some cases.
He should rest, there is no other cure at this point. Only streching and so called isometric exercises can improve his knee condition. Jumping, running and dancing can make it worse so advice him not to do it while he feels pain.
There are certain supplements for cartilage and joint function so ask your pharmacist about it. If nonsteroid painkillers doesnt halp you can consider something stronger as tramadol, but painkillers wont treat the cause. Cause can be found in MRI or CT scan or artoscopy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor