Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Getting pain in upper abdomen and under chest area. Any ideas of what this could be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
My husband, 51 years old, has complained off and on of a squeezing type pain in his right side upper abdomen, kind of where his ribs are under the chest area. He will take a supplement now and then to clear out constipation and sometimes the pain goes away. He has been having a lot of anxiety lately, not sure if that is related, but he does constantly worry about the pain. Any ideas of what this could be? When I look it up, muscular comes up, as well as the constipation, and a whole lot of other conditions. I know he needs to get checked by the doctor, but I would say this pain has come and gone many times over the last 20 years.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 22 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The location of the pain, the right upper quadrant usually is associated with gallbladder problems or the part of the large bowel that is close to the liver called the "Hepatic Flexure".

If a person is frequently constipated, there could be build up of gas along with hard stools, trapped in that part of the bowel giving pain and discomfort with relief after passage of stool and gas. That could be the case as well.

He needs to get a sonogram of his gallbladder and liver. Since he has reached the age of 50+, he needs a screening colonoscopy. (March is Colon cancer awareness)

I suggest that he schedule this as soon as possible to rule out any growths, polyps or anything that might be causing partial blockage.

He is taking Prevacid which is good.

Make sure that he gets enough fiber in the diet along with fluids.

A stool softener may be helpful daily, such as Colace or Surfak.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor