Getting pain in ribcage and back. Scan showed liver cyst and fatty liver. What it might be?

Dr. Basheer Ahamed

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Basically healthy (apart from severe osteoarthritis in right hip - manageable) but ongoing pain in upper left ribcage, now mostly accompanied by boring pain middle of back, left side. Have had ultrasound and CT scan, which only showed liver cyst and some fatty liver deposits. Pain is really getting me down, and does not respond to Advil Extra-Strength.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastritis, pancreatitis or kidney stones. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen shows liver cyst and fatty liver. But these may not be causing the the pain. In my opinion there may be three possibilities which has to be ruled out. Firstly the pain under the left side of the rib cage may be due to Gastritis(Inflammation of the stomach). I advise would be to avoid spicy and greasy food. Prescribe proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole. A gastroscopy will help in the diagnosis. Secondly it may be due to pancreatitis(Inflammation of pancreas). Stop smoking and alcohol if any. Blood tests like serum amylase and lipase will help in the diagnosis. Thirdly kidney stones. X ray of the KUB will help in the diagnosis. Antispasmodic for pain. Increased intake of water is advised. The size and site of the stone determines whether the treatment is medical or surgical. Consult and discuss with your doctor. He may help in the evaluation and treatment of those conditions. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any query. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E