Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting pain in ribcage and back. Scan showed liver cyst and fatty liver. What it might be?

Answered by
Dr. Basheer Ahamed


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1583 Questions

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Basically healthy (apart from severe osteoarthritis in right hip - manageable) but ongoing pain in upper left ribcage, now mostly accompanied by boring pain middle of back, left side. Have had ultrasound and CT scan, which only showed liver cyst and some fatty liver deposits. Pain is really getting me down, and does not respond to Advil Extra-Strength.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastritis, pancreatitis or kidney stones. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen shows liver cyst and fatty liver. But these may not be causing the the pain. In my opinion there may be three possibilities which has to be ruled out. Firstly the pain under the left side of the rib cage may be due to Gastritis(Inflammation of the stomach). I advise would be to avoid spicy and greasy food. Prescribe proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole. A gastroscopy will help in the diagnosis. Secondly it may be due to pancreatitis(Inflammation of pancreas). Stop smoking and alcohol if any. Blood tests like serum amylase and lipase will help in the diagnosis. Thirdly kidney stones. X ray of the KUB will help in the diagnosis. Antispasmodic for pain. Increased intake of water is advised. The size and site of the stone determines whether the treatment is medical or surgical. Consult and discuss with your doctor. He may help in the evaluation and treatment of those conditions. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any query. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Liver

doctor1 MD

hi my dad had a liver transplant 4weeks ago and today has got a large purple bruise on his left thigh down to his calf. hehasnt knocked it that hes aware of but we dont know where its come from? he also has been suffering from swollen legs up to the knee just recently

doctor1 MD

I have igg deficiency, asthma , and I have pain between my shoulders in my back. My stool has little white balls in it and I feel short of breath. I also have bouts of tachycardia and low grade fevers, I have had tons of medical exams. The only test I haven t had are Gallbladder exams. My colonoscopy found nodules in my ilium but they tested negative for Crohn s. Could this be a GB problem? My CT showed one elevated liver enzyme.

doctor1 MD

severe itching mostly on legs and my back, had blood tests done for foods and internal such as thyrode fibromylgia liver, says all are normal. I think it is a food related. what can I take beside benyadol , I take 2 of these at least once a day, the itching always gets worse at night time.

doctor1 MD

I have NAFLD which was discovered when my surgeion was about to remove a cancer tumor in the cnetral part of the liver. He did not do so when he saw the fatty liver. I do not drink alcohol and am not obeisi but my natural father died young with cirrohsis of the liver. The tumor was killed with an ablation and then chimo beeds in artery by tumor. I take Omeprazole 40 mg ever morning an hour before eating for the naseau which I have experience for years (actually led to the discovery of the tumr). Recently I began juicing for breakfast, and increased my exercise routine to everyother day for at least 30 min of fast walk or jug and li? I eat mostly chicken and fish or shrimp, baked or stir fried. I d like to get off the Omeprazole.

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

I have been taking atorvastatin 40 mg for 4 months - through carotid endarterectomy surgery - with horrible subjective side effects which, objectively, include very low hematocrit of 32.9% and other low red blood cell counts. Primary Care...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am xxxxxxx XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX Age 38 years. Last month i have got my LFT done where SGPT was 132 and SGOT was 82 because i consume liquor on a regular basis thats why got those test done; but all of sudden i realized that last week...