Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Getting pain in rib area, headache and burning while urinating. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5761 Questions
Hi. For weeks I've had oncoming pains...the pain is located just under where my rib cage meets. It's such a bad pain that it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. A few weeks ago it happened and I had to leave the movie cinema because of it and all I was doing was sitting. Now it's happening again. Is it something? My other symptoms are constant headaches, when I urinate it burns. Sharp, shooting pains, nausea, what could it be? Do I see a doctor?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gallstones or peptic ulcer. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If your pain is located in the right upper abdomen and occasionally radiates to the back, it is caused by gallstones. If the pain is more in the middle peptic ulcer is the reason. Both conditions give nausea and vomiting, both are triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods. Burning when urinating is caused by urinary tract infection or kidney stones. Here is what should be done: - abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallstones - blood work and urine analysis - if no stones in the ultrasound, gastroscopy is necessary In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting pain in rib area, headache and burning while urinating. What could it be? 5 minutes later
This seems about right with the peptic ulcer. It's a very bad pain that is always triggered when I eat foods. Within an hour or more after I eat some foods it's bad bad's been happening for weeks now. When I was laying on my stomach before there felt like there was a lump...I'm not sure but when you touch where it hurts, it absolutely kills. It only is triggered every so often. What do I do about this? I'm an Au pair from Australia, living in the USA with health it worth getting checked up or not? The pain is located in the middle not towards the right
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: It needs to be checked with gastroscopy. The most common reason of peptic ulcer is Helicobacter Pylori infection of the stomach. Gastroscopy needs to be done to collect samples from the ulcer (what rules cancer out) and to check H.Pylori infection. In case of such infection, antibiotics needs to be prescribed. If you really can not get gastroscopy done, you should at least start Omeprasole 40 mg once a day (in the morning before any meal). This should be continued for 30 days. Hope this will help. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor