Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

135 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting pain in lower abdomen, groin area and noticed bruise on pelvic bone. Kidney stone?

Answered by
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 5770 Questions

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi,
I've been getting pain in my lower left abdomen, I've been feeling dehydrated and recent changed my diet to intake less in an effort to lose weight.
I have also been walking a lot more than usual.
My stomach feels strained a lot and bruising has formed on my pelvis bone (which might explain the pain)
I'm male, 81Kilos, 28 years old. I have also been having difficulty producing a healthy amount of feces compared to what I have been eating..
I feel no nausea, but a dull pain in my lower left abdomen which occasionally moves to the right side after I eat.

I often feel bloated and my abdomen feels tight.
My abdomen isn't sore to the touch except for the area of the bruising (which is very minimal but visible)
In certain positions, such a twisting or bending - the area where the bruising is can hurt more.
I was concerned it was a kidney stone - I have no history of this in my family.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If your pain is in the lower abdomen and groin area, this bruising seems to be inguinal hernia. Usually it appears when some heavy weight is lifted but not necessary. If this bruising gets more visible while standing and coughing the hernia it is. You can perform simple test: put your finger where the bruising is while standing and try to cough, If you find this bruising moving like something wants to get out, the hernia it is. It can be confirmed with this area ultrasound and treated with surgery.
Lower left abdominal pain can be also caused by diverticulitis. Urinary tract infection/stones gives also frequent urinating and burning when urinating. The pain can radiate to the groin or back.
Diverticulitis is strongly associated with severe constipation and is unlikely at your age. So if you do suffer from constipations for years it can be it.
You should have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work (to see if WBC is elevated) and urine analysis if uti or diverticulitis seems possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Thank you for your analysis.

The bruising is more on the hip and is sore to the touch.
I do not have pain in the groin area.

I tried coughing with my finger on the bruise and there was no feeling of anything moving or wanting to come out. It fees the same both sides.

If it is a Kidney Stone, what would you recommend I do to correct this?

I will also arrange an ultrasound,

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

If this is kidney stone, it is necessary to check if there is no ureter obstruction. To do that, abdominal ultrasound should be performed.
The treatment of the kidney stones depends of the size of stones. If it is small enough (about 1 cm) it should get excreted without medical help. In such case you should drink more mineral water (about 2-3 liter/day), use blueberry supplements and some smooth muscles relaxing tablets like Kwells. Physical activity should be also increased so the stone can get out with gravity.
It is also necessary to have urine analysis and if an infection is present, you should use an antibiotics.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Bruise

doctor1 MD

Hi. I was told after my first child that the lumps that are on my collarbone and up my throat are caused by the hormone that loosens your joints and ligaments and something has broken off? Im pregnant with my second child due in a week. The lumps have now grown, caused purple bruises where they are growing and are so painful it makes me cry. What are these and what treatment can i have to get rid of them. Please help!

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr, I am a 45 year old male with a history of factor five laden. But have been off my warfarin for more than 3 years on doctor's advice. Haven't had any additional problems in the last few years, however, the last few days I have a sore lower inner thigh, running from under my groin to knee as a red sunburn or rash that is sore to touch (feels bruised). It has grown from a small patch to the knee in the last two days. The muscle also feels sore. I cycle and did so on Fri and Sat (the bruising feeling started Sat morning) I had originally thought the bruising pain was from my young son kicking my thigh with his shoes on but it seems to be getting worse. Other than that I feel no other symptoms. Can you give me some advice? Thanks

doctor1 MD

I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee 2weeks ago and now have a bruise going up from my knee to my groin, and experiencing painful feeling when I lift my leg, there is also a red rash on my inner thigh that itches on part of the bruising... What could this be. Also somewhat sensitive to touch.

doctor1 MD

My 5 year old active daughter woke up in the middle of the night (3 nights ago) complaining of pain in her right leg. She had a noticeable bruise on her shin. By morning, we noticed black and blue marks on both legs but the pain was no longer. We took her to our local ER who did bloodwork that came out normal. They recommended we go to our primary care pediatrician. He took one look at my daughter and diagnosed her with HSP. Her urine was normal. In looking at cases of HSP online, the symptoms don t match with my daughter s. She never had red marks -- they are all black and blue. She doesn t have abdominal pain either. Our pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about but as you can i agine, looking at your child with bruises all over is heartbreaking and scary. We have decided to take our daughter to a Rheumatologist but they cannot fit her in until mid June. Now I am contemplating taking her to the ER at our local Children s Hosipital (CHOP) so we can get answers more quickly. Just looking for some advice. Thanks for your help!

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 weeks later it came back at another high value 445. No other tests for inflammation were done. CBC with differential all normal. I'm...

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old daughter has a bump on her forehead right below her hairline. It is about the size of a small pea. She says it is painful. It is non-movable. It has a bluish tint similar to a bruise but much lighter. It does not seem like a bump...