Getting pain in foot. Using volini to get relief. Any effective medication?

Dr. Atul Wankhede

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Sir, Since the last 3 months I'm getting pain in the right foot, it last for 2-3 days and subsides, but in those 3 days i cant even take a step without any support. No accidents or fractures have happened in my past. The day which was peak starts in the mid night and i cant sleep for the rest of the night. No sedation or Medication have been taken till now, and i only apply muscle relaxants like volini etc. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 42 minutes later
Dear user,

Its surprising why you haven't consulted any one yet. Three months is a long time for anyone to suffer unnecessarily. We first need to find out the reason behind the pain. As you stated there's no incident of trauma in past or present, that rules out bony injury. Then the pain could be due to

1. Muscles- in form of cramps, contractions, weakness or fatigue,

2. Nerves- due to variety of neuropathies

3. Ligaments/ tendons/ capsule- strain and sprains are very common at your age,

4. Skin lesions- either of sole, heel or foot dorsum, and lastly

5. Blood vessels- pain can arise due to low perfusion.

If you feel you can figure out the defect amongst the aforesaid conditions, we may be able to help you. Meanwhile pay attention to your footwear- is it well cushioned, comfortable, no showing wear and tear from one side. Examine your foot and confirm which part is most tender- is it the heel or toes or elsewhere. Try standing on your toes and then shift on the heels and notice which position was more painful.

You have till now taken the right decision of avoiding medications and hope you continue doing the same until the condition is diagnosed. Till then continue local application of gel, hot water fomentation and use well cushioned footwear at all times.

For further queries I'm available for follow up.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 days later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Wankhede,

Thanks for your reply,

I have consulted the doctor here. He has given me a shot of Gentamicin to my hip and prescribed to use Tab Topcef 200mg + Signoflam twice a day for 5 days. Along with it he are suggested to take a Sr. Uric Acid blood test, when done it showed the result as having 7.2 mg/dl (Normal rate Male: 3.5-7.0 mg/dl).

Please suggest me what to do next. As my doctor said to XXXXXXX him after the 5 days or once the pain is relieved. As of now i'm have 80% relief in pain from the day when i have consulted you.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 33 hours later
Dear sir,
Thanks for writing back and apologies for delayed response.

Your physician seems to have uncovered a potential source of infective pathology leading to the said condition. Lets hope after the completion of antibiotic course the relief is noteworthy.

Your serum uric acid is marginally raised and is definitely a matter of concern. Your physician might take a look and prescribe medications that reduce uric acid and also suggest diet that helps reduce its values in circulation.

Your next step should be to prevent pain from recurring by correctly diagnosing its source and treating it accordingly. You also need to have a healthy life style inclusive of healthy diet, exercises and adequate rest. I'm glad you have good relief up till now and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Regards.