Getting pain in ear after wax removal. What should I do?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife is a nurse and I asked her to help clean the ear wax out of my ear. She drained a lot out, the last time she flushed my ear ( warm water/ peroxide) I felt pain. I knew it could be bad because I've had problems with my ears as a kid. The pain has pretty much gone away, but when I pinch my nose, I can hear small hiss as of air is coming out...
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 32 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I presume there could be either damage to the eardrum or a chunk of impacted wax has swollen once the water was injected into the ear canal. The impacted and swollen wax can give rise to acute earache and discomfort on pressing the tragus of the ear.

My advice to you is to consult your doctor at the earliest and get the ear examined. Do not use any sort of drops till your doctor rules out any perforation of the ear drum.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon