Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Getting pain and stiffness due to holes in rhomboids. Is this normal?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I am a physical therapist and I have a strange case with one of my clients, he has strange type of holes in his rhomboids and do cause him some pain and stiffness he feels when throwing a ball..Not sure if this is normal or not..I need some understanding of this condition XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your client might be suffering from atrophy of rhomboidus muscle .

This muscular atrophy might have abnormal shape than the normal one ; Smaller or flatter or there is a hollow , sunken , concave even a XXXXXXX hole with a dark colour of skin, caused by malnutrition of this part of muscle.

This rhomboidus muscle atrophy can cause chronic pain, stiffness and limitation of activity such as throwing a ball.

This muscular atrophy may be caused by injury, surgery or the disease of nervous system eg. disease of cervical vertebrae, prolapsed inter vertebral disc, brachial plexus issues etc.

I suggest you ask him to consult an orthopaedician for detailed examination.

As of now, you can start him on muscle strengthening exercises of shoulder and scapular muscle to regain the muscle power.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting pain and stiffness due to holes in rhomboids. Is this normal? 17 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I will follow it up with an Orthopaedic Physician.
Sincer regards
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
You’re welcome.

I am pleased to know that my suggestions were helpful.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor