Getting numbness in leg and noticed soft lump under skin. Easy way to get cure?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son is 19 years old, he plays a lot of basketball, sometimes when he runs he feels his left leg get numb. Just today he noticed two lumps under the skin near his XXXXXXX (I have photos). The lumps are not hard and are actually soft to the touch and compress quite easily like a liquid. He sat down and they disappeared, when he stands up for a period of time they reappear, they are not causing any pain and are not painful to touch. Plmk thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The lumps on the XXXXXXX which disappear on sitting are likely to be due to a venous swelling. Such small compressible lumps are benign swellings but need to be examined for proper diagnosis. Incompetent venous valves can cause such compressible swellings specially in those who stand for long hours.
The other possibility is a skin related swelling like sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. Do consult a physician for a direct examination in case it increases in size or becomes painful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.