Getting neck pain. MRI showed spinal rings size reduced. Any advice?

Dr. Rajesh Gajwani

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My aunt is getting neck pain she was advised to take MRI scan for spine. I am attaching that report. Doctor told that 3 spine rings size got reduced. Could you please help in taking second opinion
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 2 hours later

After seeing your aunt's MRI scan report I realised that the report is of lower spine, where as your aunt has a problem in the cervical spine.

I would suggest that you get MRI of cervical spine for a definitive diagnosis for her neck symptoms.

Meanwhile ask her to stop using pillows while sleeping and start doing cervical neck exercises and application of local analgesics for symptomatic relief. Oral analgesics may also be administered as and when required.

The problem of neck has no correlation with MRI of lumbo sacral spine.

Hope this helps. If you have more queries, do let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad