Getting nausea, headache and night sweats after taking flagyl. How long it takes to cure?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just finished a 10-day course of flagyl after testing positive for C Diff. Around day 5 on the drug my symptoms improved, somewhat. Now that I'm finished, I'm still having 1-3 loose stools per day and a GI specialist I spoke with said I could expect this for the next 3-4 weeks. My questions are: 1. can I take an over-the-counter diarrhea aid to help 2. Will the side effects from the flagyl (nausea, dizziness, head/joint ache, fatigue, darkened urine, night sweats) subside soon? 3. Was 10 days enough on the flagyl or should it have been prescribed for 14?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Before the answers for your question let me write some things. As you have been treated with two antibiotics recently, your regular, protective intestinal bacterias has been destroyed and this two antibiotics has left some kind of mess in bacterias cultures. It needs some time for it to get back to the regular state. Without this good bacterias, your intestines does not work property. Until this wont be reversed, you may have symptoms like diarrheas or loose stools.
Answering to your questions:
1. Yes, you can take anti diarrhea medicines (like Loperamide 4mg 3 times a day). You should also add probiotics, have soft diet. Rifaximine therapy might be also very helpful at your case. This is an antibiotic which does not get absorbed, works only inside the intestines and affects only those bad bacterias.
2. Yes, this symptoms should go away in a few days. If not, you should visit your doctor again.
3. Yes, 10 days is enough. No need for longer treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Thank you, that is very helpful. I don't think my doctor will be willing to prescribe rifaximine as she has told me to wait 7 days to see improvement. I have been taking a probiotic for the past 10 days, specifically Saccharomyces Boulardii which I read is helpful in the treatment of C Diff as well as eating a lot of plain yogurt.

Again, Thank you for your help.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Hello!

Than just continue probiotic and yogurt. It should work even without Rifaximine.
Regards.